Membership runs from January 1st to December 31st annually. Members who join late in the year just pay from the next January 1st. Individual memberships cost $60.00 per year. Families of two pay $90.00.
You'll also need to get a ride license through Cycling BC (for the mandatory insurance). This costs $60 for the year per member. This can be done online: Cycling BC.
Note on Cycling BC Membership/Insurance
Cycling BC insurance provides comprehensive liability and sports injury medical insurance for individual riders while participating in club rides or Cycling BC sanctioned events. Once you have registered you will be able to download a Cycling BC membership card proving you are covered. Presentation of the card at several local bike shops will also entitle you to shop discounts. The basic Cycling BC Provincial Ride Licence is $60 per year and is valid for club rides and activities. If you wish to participate race events you will need to purchase a Provincial Race license, rather than the basic ride license, which costs $90.
Once you’ve got your Cycling BC membership
You can submit your application for membership with the Velo Vets online, with this link.
- print your license purchase confirmation e-mail from Cycling BC
- print, read, complete and sign the membership form and waiver form
- submit with required Velo Vets membership amount from above (cheque made out to “Vancouver Velo Vets”) to: Treasurer, Vancouver Velo Vets, 217 Third Ave, New Westminster, BC V3L 1L9. You can also send payment by interac - to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guest riders are welcome but you are required to complete a waiver form and bring it to the ride you wish to participate in. If you are bringing a guest please print a waiver for them and ask them to fill it in and sign it.
What it takes to join a Velo Vets ride:
- signed Velo Vets waiver or signed waiver & membership form
- capable of riding at an average speed of 26-28kph (that means 30-32kph on the flats)
- helmet (you must have an approved helmet, no exceptions!)
- group riding experience is helpful but not required. We will show you how
- the rides are not supported, so be prepared in the event of a flat or mechanical
- check the ride calendar for options, times and start locations
- come out for a few rides to try things out
- bring along some money as most rides include a mid-ride coffee shop stop